TIPS e-newsletter 31 published
Welcome to our bumper summer issue!
Like us on Facebook – visit the TIPS Ltd Facebook page: we publish news (including competitions!), information and advice for parents and professionals regularly.
Our testers have been busy reviewing lots of products: washable nursing pads, two baby oils, a nipple treatment and our first large trial of sterilisers - we will publish the results next month. We're also going to be testing the classic Bickiepegs teething biscuits real soon. Meanwhile, we are delighted that the innovative Vapour Ring from Baby nose-clear® is the latest TIPS Award winner - find out more in the featured products section. We also feature the adorable MamAmor birthing, breastfeeding and babywearing dolls. They haven't been through our trial process, but if they did I'm sure they'd win a TIPS Award!
Our featured website is www.beachdragons.com. Beach Dragons offer an innovative range of UV clothing for children. This Swedish company was founded in 2012 by mother of three Jessica Dahlberg. Jessica spotted a gap in childrenswear and decided to start her own company offering stylish, premium quality beachwear with UV-protection. We are delighted to offer our readers the chance to win one of two UV clothing sets (total prize value is £150) in our e-newsletter competition.
We have reviewed 3 books for you:
- Adventures in Potty Training is about two neighbours who decide to start potty training their children on the same day. It also deals with the very sensitive subject of soiling. The book has been reviewed by one of our parent bloggers whose daughter has also suffered from this upsetting condition.
- Birth made easy explains how self-hypnosis, visualisation, different breathing methods and the use of colours for healing and relaxation can help you get the birth you want
- in the Let’s Talk About series of toddler books, we have reviewed My New Baby and Big Beds and Bedtime for you.
In our Top Tips features, you can find out about Train with Nicola Buggy classes - to help new mums get fit with their babies. We feature the adorable Frilly Tushies: a beautiful range of pants to hide nappies that take the old fashioned idea of frilly pants and give it a modern twist (we have two gorgeous sets up for grabs) and we also introduce the innovative craze of Mummy Business Cards. Read on....
Check out our delightful TIPS Testers' photos including the very first engagement picture: my daughter and her fiancé (who proposed on top of Mount Kilimanjaro!).
My Story includes poignant shots which chart the journey of Julie and her family, from diagnosis to treatment for thyroid cancer, just after the birth of her third son.
Maybe you have photos of your own you would like to share with us? Remember we're always on the lookout for these - and I will send a signed copy of my book (Breastfeeding: the essential guide) to the sender of each photo we publish.
As well as our regular mix of featured article, blog (Edspire), event (Father’s Day present to win too!), DVD (Room on the Broom), Top Value and Top Treat we introduce a new campaigns feature with two campaigns: Hands Off Midirs and Movement for an Adoption Apology.
We also have part three of our feature Diary of a Student Midwife Down Under. And we have a special treat for all the readers who have been asking for an update on our original series Diary of a Student Midwife: we have exciting news, with pictures too!
Don't forget to check out our 8 mini-competitions with a total prize value of over £350!
Email your entries (to
) and you too could be a winner.
Remember if you are not 'in' you can't win!
We are delighted to tell you about the latest online service community: YoupiJob. The website aims to match 'Posters' with 'Jobbers' so you can find a skilled person in your local area to do the jobs you don't have time to do...
How did YoupiJob begin?
Youpijob is basically a combination of the French word (youpi) with the English word job - and youpi simply means ‘hooray’!
Youpijob co-founders, Benjamin Leyne and Bertrand Tournier are both in their early 30s. They worked for Groupon in France after graduating from university.
Their careers kept them extremely busy with very little spare time. They didn't want to spend the little free time they did have on daily chores.
The cost of employing someone to carry out these chores was quite prohibitive, so they looked for alternatives. This is how they became aware of new concepts being developed in the US that seemed to work well. These allow people with skills and spare time to offer their services to people who don't have time to do all kind of jobs around the home and garden. Benjamin Leyne and Bertrand Tournier decided to create a European version of this. Youpijob is building strong user bases in France, Switzerland and now the UK.
What could you use YoupiJob for?
YoupiJob.co.uk is an online jobs market place connecting busy people (who need help with all kinds of jobs) with people who have the time and skills to do them (and are looking to make some extra cash in the process).
It doesn’t matter how big or small the jobs are. Whether it's DIY, mowing the lawn, ironing or cooking a weekend meal, the YoupiJob online community allows users to find skilled people in their neighbourhood who can help out.
Benjamin Leyne (see picture), co-founder of Youpijob.co.uk says:
“YoupiJob.co.uk is a great way for busy working people to save money and time by posting a job they would like done on YoupiJob.co.uk. They can let someone from the friendly YoupiJob community, who’s likely to be living in their neighbourhood, do the job for them. It cuts out expensive middlemen and in these tough economic times is a great way to save money, and connect with people in your community!”
How do I know that Jobbers and Posters are genuine?
Every Poster and every Jobber is checked against their social networking certification (Facebook connection, profile pictures, phone number verification)
They are also community reviewed: (this works a bit like seller and buyer ratings on eBay). Every Poster and every Jobber is rated once a job has been completed so it is in the interest of each person to build up a successful profile.
Online Jobbers and Posters profiles include lists of jobs posted, and jobs completed.
How does it work?
If you want to be a Jobber:
- register on YoupiJob: http://www.youpijob.co.uk/index.php?page=6
- YoupiJob will alert you as soon as a suitable job is posted
- you can also search the jobs online at: http://www.youpijob.co.uk/index.php?page=1
- if you are interested in a job, just click on the button 'Do this'
- if you are happy with the fee click ‘offer my services’
- if you want to charge a different fee click on ‘Make an offer’
- if you are selected by a Poster you will get an email
- when the job is completed your Poster pays you and then adds a rate and review on your profile.
If you want to be a Poster:
- post your job on YoupiJob here: http://www.youpijob.co.uk/index.php?page=10
- your jobs will all appear in your profile
- each time a Jobber offers his/her services, you receive an email.
- you can select the Jobber directly from your Job ad page
- when the job is done, you pay the Jobber
- don't forget to rate and review the Jobber from your profile on YoupiJob.
For more information go to: